Borderline Personality Disorder Counselling
Counselling and psychological therapy have proven to be very effective for Borderline Personality Disorder. A specific approach, Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is most effective in treating individuals. This involves skills training to improve all areas of your life, including four main focuses: mindfulness awareness and exercises, emotion regulation (how to understand and effectively express emotions), interpersonal effectiveness (how to find and keep relationships), and distress tolerance (techniques and tools to help with crisis management and stressful situations particular to you). It will also be important to learn to engage in a healthy lifestyle, which will help to maintain consistency and balance – key to someone experiencing the challenges of BPD.
What is Borderline Personality Disorder?
Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is a mental health disorder that involves significant emotional instability. This can lead to a variety of other stressful mental and behavioral problems.
The following are some typical representations and symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder:
– Severely distorted self-image
– Feel worthless and fundamentally flawed
– Impulsive and risky behavious (alcohol, drugs, sex, spending money, gambling)
– Frequent mood swings
– Difficulty maintaining relationships
– Self-destructive behaviours (self harm; aware, but inability to stop)
– Feeling misunderstood, neglected, alone, empty; fear of being alone
– Difficulty controlling emotions or impulses
– Inappropriate anger and antagonistic behaviour
Individuals with BPD often have difficulty maintaining stability in various areas of their life, such as jobs, relationships, and self-confidence.
Borderline Personality Disorder Counselling in Etobicoke & Toronto
Services offered by Carly Clifton include: Borderline Personality Disorder therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), counselling for Borderline Personality Disorder, and Dialectial Behaviour Therapy (DBT).