Grief Counselling is a type of therapy that works to help individuals cope with sadness and mourning, normally following the death of a loved one or with major life losses that cause similar feelings. This could be due to a parent-child separation, a divorce, loss of a job, or ending a harmful friendship, family, or romantic relationship.
In grief counselling, it is important to learn about how it is most helpful for you to deal with and process a loss. Everyone has their own way, which can be unique to a culture, religion, family system, or personal set of beliefs. One might be seeking grief therapy directly following a loss, which would include anticipating challenges one may encounter. Alternatively, one may be seeking grief counselling later on in life where it seems resolution was not found and some form of disruptions have already ensued following the loss.
What is Grief?
Grief is often present when you have an overwhelming feeling of emptiness and sadness. There are various stages, ways, and levels of severity by which an individual experiences grief.
Some elements of grieving may include (in any order or in any combination):
– Denial/isolation (blocking out the facts in order to avoid dealing with overwhelming emotions and pain)
– Anger (reacting in a way that shows frustration and infuriation, and pushes away sadness)
– Bargaining (trying to regain control by thinking of actions we could have taken that could have helped to prevent the loss; in reality, these are hypothetical and could not have changed the situation)
– Depression (feelings of sadness and regret, understanding separation and the need to say goodbye; often accompanied by the need for affection)
– Acceptance (this stage is not always achieved, and is characterized by understanding of and peace and calmness with a loss)
Your first session involves initial assessment of your well being and a thorough intake of your personal history and background. Subsequent therapy sessions are 50 minutes in length, and are unique to each individual treatment plan.
Grief Counselling in Mississauga
Services offered at Balanced Mind and Wellness Inc. include: bereavement counselling, bereavement therapy, grief therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), counselling for grief, and trauma counselling.