Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Counselling
The goal of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder counselling is to deal with your feelings about the past, and understanding your past traumatic incidents and relationships, which may include abuse or accidents, being a victim of violent or sexual assault, witnessing violence, or military combat. Distress and anxiety leading to an inability to carry out daily life functioning following traumatic incidents affects individuals physically and emotionally.
It is important to understanding your current thought patterns, and to change them into more effective and helpful ones. In this process, individuals can come to terms with their trauma and gain a sense of control over their fear. The positive thoughts that we work to develop in Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder therapy will help one to slip back into negative thinking patterns.
What is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)?
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) develops after experiencing or witnessing a traumatic, stressful, and frightening incident. Fear and distress are very common among people who experience traumatic events. In individuals with PTSD, the body is constantly on alert for terror and danger subsequent to a disturbing incident. For some individuals, symptoms of PTSD may occur immediately after trauma, and for others, it may take up to six months after shock of the event subsides.
The following are common symptoms of PTSD:
– Vivid flashbacks, nightmares, intrusive thoughts, recurring sensations of what happened
– Sweating, trembling, nausea, and intense distress when exposed to experiences similar to a previous trauma
– Feeling on edge, or hyperarousal when someone is constantly anxious or on alert for danger
– Difficulty relaxing
– Easily startled
– Self-destructive behaviour
– Inability to concentrate
– Difficulty sleeping
– Avoidance (talking about experiences; confronting memories)
– Feeling detached and isolated
– Inability to express affection
– Turning to drugs/ alcohol to avoid memories
– Loss of interest in usual hobbies/ routine
Your first session involves initial assessment of your well being and a thorough intake of your personal history and background. Subsequent therapy sessions are 50 minutes in length, and are unique to each individual treatment plan.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Counselling in Mississauga
Services offered at Balanced Mind and Wellness Inc. include: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), counselling for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, counselling for PTSD, Dialectial Behaviour Therapy (DBT), Exposure Therapy, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder therapy, and PTSD therapy.