The purpose of relationship counselling is to help understand the relationship issues you are facing and why they may be occurring. Communication issues, trust issues, worries of controlling or needy relationships, troubles with love and intimacy, major life transitions, parenting issues, dealing with a breakup, trouble finding a new relationship, and dealing with grief are all important areas. Relationship counselling can involve couples therapy in intimate relationships, issues pertaining to a business relationship, or solving conflict within a friendship. Relationship therapy can be beneficial for all types of relationships, and need to be dealt with in the best way possible so that both or all people involved are not affected in a negative way.
In relationship counselling, we will work to understand the nature of the problems you want to address and work with you to develop and/ or improve communication styles, interpersonal effectiveness skills, and emotion regulation skills. It is helpful to understand your past and present relationships so that we can identify patterns in the ways your relationships present themselves. If you wish, we are able to work together with the other person in the relationship so that we may address concerns together and work on ways to improve communication and other issues that seem to be present. friendship or business relationship
Couples counselling sessions can be particularly helpful with:
- Identifying and naming the problems each partner brings forward
- Assessing level of severity, frequency, and immediacy of issues brought forward
- Learning and implementing effective conflict resolution strategies
- Discuss needs with regards to emotional intimacy and sexual intimacy, and level of needs being met currently
- Find ways to become a team, with joint goals, similar values, and future planning
- Highlighting areas of strength and common values, as well as deficits within the relationship
- Setting goals together to improve current relationship dynamics, and to build positive communication tools
Some reasons people choose to attend couples therapy:
- To find a ‘spark’, otherwise known as passion and intimacy, in your relationship
- To find ways to stop arguing about and solutions for issues surrounding sex, money, raising children, or other family issues
- To learn to discuss differing opinions or ideas without escalating or walking away
- To work through issues of infidelity, or other issues surrounding trust in your relationship
- To find guidance in deciding whether or not to end your relationship
- To find strategies to cope with or process a separation or divorce
Your first session involves initial assessment of your well being and a thorough intake of your personal history and background. Subsequent therapy sessions are 50 minutes in length, and are unique to each individual treatment plan.
What are relationship problems or relationship issues?
Relationships are a huge part of our every day lives, and can often come with struggles, setbacks, and conflicts. It is important to identify the relationships that are troubling you and to seek help with the ones you feel need improvement. These may involve your partner/ a couple, your family, your friends, and/ or your coworkers.
Relationship Counselling in Toronto
Couples counselling services offered at Balanced Mind and Wellness Inc. include: relationship therapy, couples therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), counselling for relationships, counselling for couples, relationship counselling, couples counselling, and interpersonal talk therapy.