Self-esteem counselling involves creating an understanding and awareness of who you are, what you want, what you want to change, and your strengths and skills. It requires courage and honesty to confront things in yourself that you don’t like, and at the same time, it is worthwhile to help improve confidence and concept of self.
Self-esteem counselling involves creating a new, positive self-concept, which involves developing and improving personal needs and expectations. It will also be important to learn to accept yourself, and to understand your skills and challenges.
What is self-esteem?
Self-esteem is a measure of how how one perceives and views oneself to be, inwardly and outwardly. Self-esteem involves judgments, evaluations, and prescribed beliefs about the self. These can be positive, negative, or a combination of the two. The degree to which our self-esteem can be measured is by balancing the positive and negative evaluations of our self.
Feelings of low self-esteem are often characterized by:
– Feeling incompetent and unrealistic
– Feeling unloved or the inability to be loved
– Overwhelming amounts of fear and negative thoughts
– Goals seeming unachievable
– Being drawn into destructive relationships
– Fear of change
– Imbalanced views of self
What are self-esteem issues?
Self-esteem issues refer to a negative view of one or more aspects of the self. This involves feelings of worthlessness and viewing one’s life through a lens that sees flaws, failures, and unattractive qualities. Others may view these aspects as strengths. It is difficult to be successful according to our own goals and desires if our self-image is blocked with negative perspectives. Self esteem counselling can be beneficial even we are lacking in confidence on one trait. One missing piece of the puzzle can be worked on through counselling, which can contribute to greater overall happiness.
Below are some common thoughts and feeling associated with low self-esteem:
– Social withdrawal
– Anxiety and emotional suffering
– Lack of social skills and self-confidence
– Depression and/or bouts of sadness
– Less social conformity
– Inability to accept compliments
– Inability to be fair to yourself
– Accentuating the negative
– Exaggerated concern over what you imagine other people think
– Self neglect
– Reluctance to take on challenges
– Reluctance to put yourself first or anywhere
– Reluctance to trust your own opinion
– Expecting little of yourself
Your first session involves initial assessment of your well being and a thorough intake of your personal history and background. Subsequent therapy sessions are 50 minutes in length, and are unique to each individual treatment plan.
Self-esteem Counselling in Mississauga
Services offered at Balanced Mind and Wellness Inc. include: self-esteem therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT), and interpersonal talk therapy.